DML FAQ : Engine
: How do I change my thermostat?
How do I change my thermostat?
For the 3.9L V6 and 5.2L & 5.9L V8s:
- Remove the upper radiator hose
- Take the serpentine belt off and take the alternator off (optional)
- Loosen up the 2 bolts on the t-stat neck. (at this point, you'll notice coolant leak down your block, have a pan underneath to catch that coolant)
- Take old stat out, clean gasket off the water neck
- Put the new thermostat in and install the gasket on the water neck
with a thin bead of hi-temp RTV on each side.
- Put the 2 bolts back into the hole (get a magnetic tool picker-upper, because you'll more than likely not be able to fit your hands in there and will drop the bolt in a place you can't reach)
- Replace alternator, belt and radiator hose back on
- Refill your radiator. 1 container of antifreeze and 1 container of (distilled) water should be more than enough
Jon Steiger has an illustrated guide for this as well
Contributed by: "Dester", Jon Steiger
Last updated: Thu Mar 28 19:19:40 2002