DML FAQ : Engine
: What type of plastic should I use on my air intake tube?
What type of plastic should I use on my air intake tube?
It is a point of minor contention but I think its worthwhile to use ABS
pipe instead of PVC:
- It is more temperature resistant.
- It is less brittle and less likely to shatter in an accident. The last thing you want in an accident is for pieces of plastic melting on your cylinder walls.
- Most of the big plastic stuff under your hood is ABS type plastic anyway.
- ABS costs about the same and is found at the same locations where PVC can be found.
- ABS is designed for use in vibration/impact prone environments.
Contributed by: Marty Galyean
Last updated: Mon Oct 15 23:41:49 2001